SOUTH JERSEY TAMIL ASSOCIATION (SJTA)
The South Jersey Tamil Association (SJTA) is a Socio Cultural organization that was formed with the objective of fostering culture and popularizing Tamil language literature among the new generation children. The Tamil language is one of the ancient languages and it is spoken in Tamil Nadu (a state in India), Singapore, Malaysia and Sri Lanka. There are Tamil speaking people who are settled all over the globe. Our organization is a non-profit organization with emphasis on teaching Tamil language and literature to the modern generation. We provide Tamil Cultural activities to the Tamil families living in South Jersey region. The members of the SJTA are the residents of South Jersey region and have interest in Tamil cultural and social events.
Our charter include activities to help
• Promote Tamil language and culture
• To provide a forum for the future generation Tamils to participate, learn and grow in the rich heritage of the Tamil language and culture.
• Teach Tamil language to the younger generation
• Organize cultural events like dance, drama and music
• To foster commitment to the promotion of Tamil Values, Art and Language.
• Conduct competitions to foster love for Tamil literature among students.
SJTA is a non profit organization with the sole interest of bringing in quality Tamil cultural programs to our community living in South Jersey. SJTA, as of today, has about 80 members and is expected to grow in future.
Membership to SJTA is open to all those who are interested in Tamil language and organizing, participating and enjoying cultural, social and entertainment programs conducted by and for the Tamil community.
The association provides means and mechanisms for many talent displays. It also provides as a great place to have social contacts. To help facilitate this we organize about 4 to 6 cultural programs per year.
- Pongal Vizha (Tamil harvest festival)
- Tamil New Year
- Annual Picnic
- Children’s program
- Sports Programs (Volley Ball and others)
Our association is being run by volunteers who spare their personal time to help our community. We are guided by our associations Constitution and Bylaws, These collectively form a set of guidelines for operational conduct for our association.
1. The name of the association shall be South Jersey Tamil Association, herein referred at as SJTA.
2. SJTA shall be a non-profit organization. Its income will be derived from the membership dues and from other revenue generating fund raising events.
3. SJTA shall be a socio cultural organization. The purposes of SJTA are to foster culture and popularize Tamil literature among the modern generation.
4. SJTA shall be non political and non sectarian. It shall not subscribe to any one religion and shall not discriminate against any person because of his/her religious beliefs or ethnic background.
5. The organization structure of SJTA shall consist of (1) a duly elected executive committee and (2) elected or appointed committees and sub-committees.
Our charter include activities to help
1. Promote Tamil language and culture
2. To provide a forum for the future generation Tamils to participate, learn and grow in the rich heritage of the Tamil language and culture.
3. Teach Tamil language to the younger generation
4. Organize cultural events like dance, drama and music
5. To foster commitment to the promotion of Tamil Values, Art and Language.
6. Conduct literary competitions to foster love for Tamil language and literature among students.
1. The membership to SJTA shall be open to all those who are interested in Tamil language, and organizing, participating and enjoying cultural, social and entertainment programs conducted by and for the Tamil community.
2. All members shall have the right to participate in SJTA’s affairs, attend General body meetings and contest for an office of SJTA.
3. The Bylaws of SJTA may define categories and types of membership and may set qualifying criteria or eligibility for membership.
1. The organization structure of SJTA shall consist of (1) a duly elected executive committee and (2) elected or appointed General Council and sub-committees.
1. The General Body of SJTA shall consist of all current active members. Active Members are defined as members of SJTA who are currently paying their dues and in good standing.
2. The General Body shall have the power to elect or recall the Executive Committee and the General Council, elect or recall any Member of the Executive Committee or the General Council. It shall have the power to make specific recommendations to the Executive Committee. It shall have the power to change the provisions of SJTA Constitution and Bylaws, and the power to dissolve SJTA as an entire organization. The General Body shall exercise these powers according to the procedures outlined in this Constitution.
3. The Annual General Body Meeting of SJTA shall be held each year. The date of meeting shall be announced. The business carried out at the Annual General Body Meeting shall include the election of members of the Executive Committee, the members of the Board of Trustees, members of the nominating committee, financial status and any other matter related to SJTA as deemed necessary.
4. A simple majority vote of all present in the meeting shall be used for passage of all resolutions except those specified explicitly. Any resolution (s) that are deemed essential for the normal and routine functioning of SJTA may be approved by a majority vote of all present in the meeting and with a subsequent approval by majority vote of the members of the Board.
5. The motions to amend the Constitution or Bylaws of SJTA shall require majority vote of the members present at the meeting.
1. The General Council shall be elected body of members entrusted with the task of protecting and preserving SJTA and ensuring that SJTA functions according to the provisions of its constitution and bylaws. The Council shall not have day-to-day executive responsibility but shall exercise an overseeing and advisory role over the Executive Committee. Final authority to recall or dissolve the Executive Committee rests with the General Body.
2. The bylaws of SJTA shall define the composition, term and the process of electing the Board members and may further specify the roles and responsibilities of the council.
1. Executive Committee of SJTA shall be an elected body of members entrusted with the task of planning, developing, organizing and carrying out all necessary activities and functions to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of SJTA. The Executive Committee shall be responsible for developing and managing the financial and membership resources of SJTA. It shall be responsible for planning and executing SJTA programs. It shall formulate policies, and procedures for SJTA. It shall work with the General Council in formulating the long-range development plans for SJTA.
2. The Executive Committee shall consist of Chairman, President and a Treasurer and elected members as designated by the Bylaws of SJTA.
3. The Executive Committee members shall be jointly and individually responsible for the successful and orderly conduct of SJTA activities and programs.
4. The Bylaws of SJTA may further specify the term, roles and responsibilities, and the eligibility criteria for the members of the Executive Committee.
1. The election of all elected office bearers of SJTA shall be held during the Annual General Body Meeting.
2. The Bylaws of SJTA shall make provision for a Nominating Committee, which shall be responsible for an orderly conduct of the election process.
3. The nominating committee shall send out nomination requests to all members and seek nominations from members that are interested in serving on the Executive Committee.
4. The voting shall be conducted by a secret ballot for positions receiving multiple nominations.
5. If the general body meeting fails to achieve the quorum, the election of the office bearers may be completed by a majority vote of the members present at the meeting.
1. As we are a non-profit organization, we cannot run the organization without the active financial support from our members.
2. The budget of the SJTA shall be funded from the membership dues and from other revenue generating fund raising events. It may also receive contributions and gifts towards the establishment of an endowment program.
3. SJTA funds are categorized as follows:
General Funds: These funds are generated from membership dues, SJTA functions or gifts or donations. These funds may be utilized to fund SJTA’s day to day activities or any purposes deemed necessary for fulfilling the goals and objectives of SJTA.
Restricted Funds: These funds are generated and received expressly for restrictive purposes or given by donors for restricted causes. These funds may be used only for the purposes for which they were collected and / or as stipulated by the donors.
Endowment Funds: Following the recommendation of the executive committee and the members, these funds may be created to provide a long term financial strength to SJTA. Endowment funds shall be maintained in a separate investment account. Only the interest income of the restricted endowment funds may be accessed for the purposes specified by the endowment donors. Under certain circumstances, following the recommendation of the Executive Committee, the committee, by a majority vote may authorize the use of a portion or the whole endowment fund for supporting SJTA.
4. The executive committee shall have the responsibility in managing and maintaining the SJTA funds and assets.
Dissolution of SJTA
1. If at any time the General Body and the Executive Committee are convinced that SJTA is not fulfilling its mission and the mandates of this Constitution, a motion to dissolve SJTA shall be in order. If the Executive Committee and the General Body in a joint session pass the motion by 2/3rd majority for the dissolution of SJTA, then SJTA may be dissolved.
2. Immediately following the dissolution of SJTA, the Executive Committee as well as the General Body shall be disbanded.